The Secrets to a Happy Life!
We all want a happy life, right? It’s probably the one thing all humans have in common. We all want to be happy, enjoy our time here on this Earth and feel like we belong.
The problem is, we all put so much pressure on ourselves to achieve this ‘happy place’. It’s sounds super cheesy, but happiness is not a destination, a material object, or goal you hit. Happiness comes purely from within. So, in theory, we should be able to feel happy regardless of our current situation, because we create our own happiness.
Now of course, we all have bad days, hardships, issues to face, and I am by no means saying that you must be happy all of the time. This is again too much pressure and will actually leave you feeling rather miserable.
The secret to a happy life is looking for the good in everyday, taking small steps each day to include enjoyment and fulfilment in your life. To stop worrying and overthinking everything and just allow yourself to live freely in the moment. Don’t judge or ridicule yourself. Trust, and fall in love with, the process of becoming the very best you, creating the very best life.
‘What if, instead of trying to solve your whole life, you just focus on adding additional good things. One at a time. Just let your pile of good things grow' - Rainbow Rowell
Now again, in theory, this sounds great, but where the heck do you start, right? I thought I’d make a list of things you can do in order to have a happy life. This list comes from my own experiences, experiences of those around me who I’ve spoken to, and other content creators who have produced awesome posts about this very topic.
I talked about having a happiness list in my previous post, and I guess you could say that this is the ultimate happy list, for everyone. No matter what journey you’re on, this list will help you create a happier life.
You absolutely deserve it!
Here you go…
The Secrets to a Happier Life!
- Healthy relationships – Humans weren’t made to be alone. Healthy relationships, in every sense, are the key to a happy life. Good relationships make you feel like you can achieve the world. And rightly so. Check out this amazing Ted Talk that can explain it better than me.
- Practice gratitude – Each and every day. There is always so much to be grateful for. Start to seek the good.
- Spend more time in nature.
- Talk – To friends, family members, professionals, people online, me! You are not alone. Everything you have been through, can add value to the world.
- Stop comparing yourself – What you see of others is never the full picture. Don’t judge your insides by someone else’s outsides.
- Stop taking things personally – There is far too much happening in the world for it to be all about you.
- Drink tea, it’s happiness in a mug.
- Forgive yourself - The past is no longer relevant. You have always done the best you could with what you had. Sure, they might not have been the smartest decisions, but if you can recognise that, then you have already grown so beautifully away from the person you were. Your mistakes were just you learning, and you can’t punish yourself for that.
- Call your grandparents and parents – They are precious. Appreciate them. Always.
- Don’t judge people – Everyone is doing their best, once you accept that, the world becomes a better place.
- Experience the sun rise and set as often as you can.
- What other people think of you, is none of your business.
- Set healthy personal boundaries.
- Smile more. It’s beautiful and brightens people’s day.
- If you fancy something to eat, eat it.
- Seek peace – Anything that gives you palpitations isn’t worth it. Surround yourself only with what makes you feel good.
- Create a daily routine that gives you the life you love.
- Accept yourself – You’re a masterpiece and a work in progress all at once, and that’s absolutely okay.
- Love yourself – Know your good points, accept and work on your bad points and love yourself for all of them. You are more than good enough for this world. Too good I reckon.
- Have fun – Build a pillow fort, play hide and seek, laugh until your sides hurt, dance until you can’t feel your toes. Life is not to be taken seriously.
- Tell those you love, you love them. Right now.
- Push yourself outside of your comfort zone. You might find something you really like. If not, it will be a cool story to tell.
- Stop pressuring yourself – You are exactly where you are supposed to be. What is meant for you will not pass you by. Relax and enjoy.
- Live in the moment – Be totally present in your life. Try and see the world like it was the first time each day. Appreciate all of the tiny wonders and be thankful for each day. They really are a blessing.
- Exercise – However you like. Just do it. Your mind needs it, your body needs it. You will thank yourself for it.
- Socialise – As often as you have the energy. Friends are the family we choose.
- Travel. As often as you can. To wherever you can.
- Have a comfy bed.
- Stroke fluffy animals.
- If something makes you laugh, do it over and over again.
- Get off social media. Go on. Right now.
- Switch your phone off. As often as you can manage.
- Get that tattoo you’ve always wanted.
- Take photos. Lots of them.
- Wear clothes you feel damn fine in.
- Drink your greens.
- Snuggle up next to roaring fires whenever the opportunity presents itself.
- Long baths – Don’t get out until you’re a literal raisin.
- Skincare – Invest in the right products and give yourself massages. You deserve TLC.
- Take care of your gut – It’s your second brain. Eat well, but don’t restrict yourself.
- Remove anyone from your life that makes you cry on purpose.
- Know that no matter what, it will always be okay.
- Read. Then read some more.
- Find something you love and do it over and over.
- Embrace each and every quirky part of you. Be weird, it’s more fun.
- See a theatre show. Become so lost in the talent of others.
- Go to a live music concert – Hear music so loud, it makes your insides shake.
- Snorkel – Experience life from a different perspective.
- Declutter – Then, when you think you’re done, do a little bit more.
- Be grateful for everything. Always.
- Be open-minded – Ignorance is just lack of intelligence. Be accepting of everyone and never judge.
- Don't be a victim - You're a bad-ass. You can handle it. I promise you.
- Do random acts of kindness – Hold doors open, leave a nice note in a library book, buy someone a cup of tea, or leave flowers on someone’s doorstep.
- Journal – Get everything off your chest. You don’t need to carry extra weight on your journey.
- Have time alone – it’s not just healthy, it’s necessary. Be your own biggest fan. If you love you, you’re indestructible.
- Remind yourself that you’re in charge of your whole life. You can change anything at any time, in fact, I encourage that.
- Compliment people – At least once a day. Make the world as beautiful as you can.
- Surround yourself with bad-ass, inspiring, beautiful souls. In real life, online, everywhere really.
- Don’t fear change. You can handle anything.
- Meet new people – People are awesome, if you don’t feel that way, you haven’t met enough.
- Actively choose to love your life – When you make the decision to love your life no matter what, you will.
I could honestly sit and write for hours about the little things in life that fill the world with happiness. I just thought this list would be a really good start for everyone, no matter what you’re going through.
I really hope it’s helpful to you. Please let me know if you’d like more like this, about more specific little pleasure. I’d be more than happy to.
Let me know if you get up to any of the things on the list, or if they are things you do already. If you have anything else, I haven’t mentioned, I’d love to hear those too. Let me know in the comments below!
As always, tight squeezes! X
Question of the week: What’s your favourite cosy meal?