8 Ways To Survive A Long-Haul Flight!
Hello, my lovely travel buddy. Welcome to the 3rd instalment of Misled Millennial’s travel series. Here, I’m answering your FAQ’s in the hope to either make your travelling more enjoyable, or inspire you to get going in the first place.
In case you missed the first two instalments, I will shamelessly, and conveniently, leave them right here…
So, what’s the agenda today, you may ask? I doubt it though because you probably read the title…
8 Ways To Survive A Long-Haul Flight is here for your viewing pleasure. Let’s get started…
1) Mindset shift – First off, take your thinking from, ‘this flight sucks and is a giant waste of my time’ to ‘this is my break away from the world’. Look at your flight as a lovely 35’000 foot barrier between you and life. It’s an opportunity to wind down, switch-off and be in the moment. Whilst you can’t do your whole to-do list, enjoy actually having a valid excuse!
2) Take entertainment – Yes, there’s in-flight entertainment, but they may not have the new season of Black Mirror, or indeed your go-to rotation of Friends. Download any movies, shows, audiobooks or games you want. What’s provided is then just an added bonus. Don’t forget to pack yourself a book, puzzles, colouring book, or anything else that will distract you from the fact you’re on a plane for hours too.
3) Make it your own personal spa – Pack facemasks, sheet masks, hand cream, eye patches, serums, lip balm, hairbrush, face wipes, pillow spray! You name it. Take this as your forced self-care time. All the TLC you’ve been meaning to give yourself but have always been “too busy” for, now’s your chance. Don’t worry about what people think, put your facemask on, earphones in, order yourself a drink and you’re good to go!
4) Comfort is key – If you’re going to be travelling for a while, you want to feel nice. Make sure you’re wearing comfy clothes, that include layers, in case you get hot or cold. Take a neck pillow, eye mask, ear plugs and fluffy socks. We are going for a makeshift duvet day here. By the time I’m done with you, you’ll look forward to long-haul flights!
5) Sleep – You’re either someone who can sleep on planes, or you can’t. If you can, be forever grateful of this miraculous ability. If you can’t, relax by listening to a meditation, having a drink (alcoholic or otherwise) and shutting off.
6) Take your own snacks – Whether you like airplane food or not (I personally would rather eat boiled cabbage!) snacks are essential! Load up on cereal bars, popcorn, crackers, chocolate treats, dried fruit, sandwiches etc, and keep yourself fed. Also don’t forget water. Flights dehydrate you.
You have your skincare from point three for externally, but you need to hydrate yourself on the inside too. I would recommend grabbing a big bottle post-security and keep sipping. Or, take your own bottle, just make sure it’s empty before you go through security.
7) Get caught up – If you really can’t relax, and this time in the air is just time away from your to-do list, then get what you can done. The sky is the perfect place to be productive because you can’t be bothered by anyone. Pre-write those emails, type up that report, write your blog post, edit your photos, study etc. Just make sure everything is saved to your computer, so you’re good to upload and go once you land.
8) Move about – Keep that blood pumping. Do stretches whilst in your chair and walk around when you can. Each time you go to the loo, walk up and down the plane. It’s important to keep your blood flowing.
I hope these tips make your next long-haul flight the equivalent of a spa retreat!
On behalf of myself and travellers everywhere, we would like to thank you for choosing Misled Millennial today. We hope you have a safe and pleasant flight ;-)
Tight squeezes! X
Question of the week: What’s the longest flight you’ve ever done?